21 February, 2006

No Worries...

So, Paige just asked if you should be worried, since I haven't posted in a while.... which amuses me for two reasons:

1, I was in the process of writing this post,
and 2, I was kidnapped this past Friday night.

It's okay, though, I was only kidnapped for about 1.5 hours... Perhaps I should explain?

I received a phone call around 5 or so. It was Nebraska suspect #1. [Neglected to mention I had suspects...] He asked what I was doing that evening. The only thing I had planned on doing was going to the Improv Show [big fan] at 7.30. He then asked if he and Nebraska suspect #2 could come over around 6, and I assented.

6 came and went, as I sat there, doing Sudoku and waiting for them. The phone rang 15 minutes later; they got confused as to where in the building my room was located. Needless to say, they had searched the bottom floor of the other tower thoroughly. As soon as the mistake was corrected, they arrived, and asked me to go for a stroll. I grabbed a coat [it was -12 without factoring in windchill...] and we headed out. Said stroll was apparently to take us to guy #2's car, into which we climbed, and drove -- the LONG way, to warm up -- into another part of town.

Turns out they were taking me to the coffeehouse in town. I had never been there before, and had had almost nothing on the menu before. The local band was setting up, and we stood talking for a little before they informed me that they were treating me to whatever I wanted, as a Thank You for my assistance with physics.

About a month ago, I received no less than 6 distress phone calls from 5 guys working together in the basement of the library in the conference room. They were trying to figure out physics, and yes, they were desperate enough to call 6 times! I helped them for about 3 hours [we all did very well on the assignment, by the way]. They were all being very, very nice, making sure no one offended me, as they anticipated needing my help in the future. [These are also very chivalrous guys; they've held the door for me multiple times, got me things I needed, etc.] I was even added to guy #1 and guy #2 's cell contact lists, #2 listing me with the name "Emergency," and #1 with a typical play on my name [those of you who know my name can probably figure it out].

Since then, I have helped them a number of different times. They also have me keep an eye on the mail they get, so that they'll know when things come. Now, because guy of #2, guy #1 gets a LOT of mail from the offices of various governors around the states -- which is one of a few reasons he's suspect #1.

Anyway, we sat there in the coffeehouse, taking in the setting up of the band, talking together, drinking our strawberry smoothies [in the case of guy #1 and myself] and hot chocolate [guy #2]. We did talk about physics for a little bit -- we had a test that day -- but we also talked about other things, too. No talk of the pin, though!

Suddenly, guy #1 asked me when Improv started. I reminded him, and he said, "...That was three minutes ago." I was shocked! They detained me from Improv! I asked if it was intentional, and they said no at first, but in trying to have me look at the positive side of things, said something about how they'd worked it so I could get in free now -- sounds pretty intentional to me!
We made it back to campus around 7.45 because guy #1 had an interview appointment -- yes, that's right, we made it back for their obligations, but not mine. I hurried over to Improv across campus, only to be informed upon arrival that it was Sold Out! Despite the enjoyable evening thus far, I was ever so slightly bummed -- especially when I was informed afterwards that guy #1 was able to get in during intermission and take the seat of a friend who had to leave! He got to see half the show, and I've been promoting Improv to him and guy #2 for weeks now! Fortunately, I had seen the Improv Club private show on Wednesday, and dress rehearsal on Thursday, and the last show on Saturday, so it's not like I completely missed out...

And thus, I was kidnapped for the first time at college.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might actually count as very nearly a date...sort of...

; )

I still think one or both has a crush on you. I doubt seriously whether the sole reason was for continued help on physics.

Lolly said...

I need help on Michael's word game. Who is an author, whose first is Saul and his last name begins with a B? Of course, if you know it and want the glory, go answer it for yourself. I have no clue!

Lolly said...

BTW, glad you finally posted. And i think you need to report on how the PHC show was. I actually heard part of it!

Edd said...

Yep,

Someone definitely has a crush on one young math genius! Coffeehouse at -12° sounds right cozy! Now to make it even better, Kenyan freshly ground coffee brewed to perfection with a half a shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream. If not the real Bailey’s because it is a liqueur, then the imitation and talking sweet nothings about the Earth’s electromagnetic poles and the dynamo effect of the inner core – Ah, sweet, sweet memories…

... Paige said...

Well, well. Its good of them to take you out, but being a mother hen, like I can be. They should have had a little more respect for you & taken you the improv & made sure you got in to see the show.
Glad you had a good "safe" time. Maybe the Pin man is still out there.

Anonymous said...

Glad they behaved...but they owe you a show since you missed out on the Improv evening. Glad you had a good time, though!

Anonymous said...

alright...

you have to scare them now... demand they do a little "improv" show for you...

and let your imagination run free.

However, you must also learn the rules of "kidnap" so that it can be appropriately implemented at the right time. One of the main ones, of course, is that they should have called "kidnap" on you, not deceived you.

Men. We're all alike.