09 February, 2006

This is what happened..


...when the amelie gave blood today. Unlike last semester, when the iron count was just barely too low, I made it this time. So they sent me over to actually donate blood, after the rigmarole of paperwork.

My technician was really quite nice. She marked the vein right away, doublechecked it, and then asked me to look away. I did for a second as she brought the needle close, but then I watched the rest of the time. I don't have a problem watching; I find it fascinating. Before the mathematics major, I was leaning toward medical.

Anyway, my technician stuck the needle in... and immediately couldn't find the carefully marked vein. She tried a few more times, without success, before calling over another worker, named Michael. He apparently takes the hard cases. Well, he tried three times, and couldn't get me. They kept worrying about if I was alright, and I was just fine -- I kept telling them I wasn't worried, and that I had no problem with any of this; that I wasn't in pain and this was kinda amusing. They called over one more lady to try a few times, ask me if I was alright four more times, and then they switched to my left arm.

They set Michael to it right away, and this time he got it. We talked about the last time I gave blood [junior year of high school; I had a presentation that day, and they took it from my left arm -- the writing arm. I was the first one done, got up, drank some lemonade, and went back to class].

Overall, it was a pleasant experience. I filled the bag in just a little over four minutes, let them fill the little extras, got up, drank a cup of water, and left. Now I've just got the battle scars, which will be gone soon enough.

So, be nice to me. I gave blood today -- and got stuck twice for it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

and you just KNOW how proud this makes me feel :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey, bless you!

; )

Michael said...

That's how I look when I give blood. They always stick me way too many times.

Take Care
Michael

Anonymous said...

I'm very very proud of you. You are awesome! x

Lolly said...

You're somebody's hero!
When I first saw the picture I thought maybe you had been incapacitated, since you had not posted for a week. Missed you.

Anonymous said...

.. you did a very good thing...

null said...

Oh good gawd! Good ol' phlebotomists... rest up dahling. I get woozy whenever I get stuck with a needle.

Edd said...

Amelie,

I am sorry it took so many sticks to get your blood but from someone who uses and needs blood on occasion, thank you. If you saw a picture of my body today, you would know that Mary Shelley’s, “monster” or her “Frankenstein” was indeed alive surviving its icy grave - me, today, now the “Modern Prometheus.”

Dash said...

I can't stand the needle in the arm bit. I warn them up front, if you don't hit it on the first stab, the deal's off - no retries. Luckily, I have ropes for veins and I've never had a miss. You're a trooper for putting up with the multiple tries.

Anonymous said...

Amelie,
Great job! Hope you did not wind up with any bruises. (Sometimes that multiple try can leave you looking like you were in some bizarre brawl!) Can't watch, myself, but otherwise, I am with you - doesn't (usually) hurt, although some phlebotomists have the touch, and some, well, not so much. Keep this up, and you will be one of those 5 (10?) gallon folks like me when you are old!

btw - you are helping far more than one person - the components of your blood are used for several.
Any rate, thank you. Many folks don't seem to realize what a precious gift this is.